Tuesday, July 5, 2011

~a couple of summerlicious recipes~

I have a couple of summerlicious recipes to post and I'm starting with dessert!

Making homemade ice cream on the 4th of July is a tradition, and even though circumstances weren't such that we had a big family gathering, my fam still had to have it! Usually both of my sisters and I have a machine cranking out the delicious creamy stuff. Since there would only be one ice cream maker whirring this time, we chose chocolate. I mean who wouldn't choose chocolate?!

This stuff tastes just like a Wendy's frosty. I use a 6 qt ice cream maker.

Chocolate "Frosty" Homemade Ice Cream

16 oz Cool Whip
1 can condensed milk
1 gal chocolate milk

Mix cool whip and condensed milk in ice cream freezer container until blended. Pour in chocolate milk to fill line. Stir as you add the milk to mix together.

Freeze according to ice cream maker instructions.

Wish I had a picture to share...was too busy eating it!! :)

The next recipe is a salad I tried over the weekend. This recipe comes from the July 2011 issue of Taste of Home Healthy Cooking:

Tortellini Chicken Salad

Cook 9 oz refrigerated cheese tortellini (I used whole wheat); add 1 cup frozen peas for last 4 -5 minutes of cooking. Drain and rinse in cold water. In a 2- 1/2 qt serving bowl, layer 5 cups torn romaine, 1-1/2 cups shredded carrots, 2 cups cubed cooked chicken breast, tortellini mixture and 1/2 cup julienned sweet red pepper. Combine 1/2 cup fat-free (I used light) mayonnaise, 3 oz jar pesto and 1/4 cup buttermilk; spread over peppers. Sprinkle with 2 TBSP minced fresh parsley. Refrigerate until chilled. After it was chilled I mixed it all up so everything had a nice coating of the dressing! Serves 6.

I just poached my chicken breasts in water with salt, fresh ground pepper, garlic powder, and bay leaf and herbes de provence. This made the chicken juicy, tender and tasty. A light tasting meal that didn't heat up the house to make!

1 comment:

Carol said...

The salad sounds delightful...I may omit the carrots though! ;) TFS!