Friday, July 3, 2009

FiNaLlY!!!

My dear son is very reserved and risk averted. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. However, many times it keeps him from "jumping" in and having fun. Teaching him to ride a bicycle? I thought sure we would pull our hair completely out before we would ever see him pedal off down the road!

Public swimming lessons? No way! So we did private swimming lessons...1 session (6 visits)and he refused to sign up for the next level because you had to go in water over your head!

Fortunately, he is at the lake, pool or ocean enough that he has learned to swim.

On Wednesday evening, after our baptismal service, the kids were all invited to go swimming at the Graves pool. Stephen jumped right in...the shallow end...and was having a great time playing. After a bit, he comes over to his Dad and me and says, "You want me to jump off the diving board?" Now, it never even crossed my mind because, well, I know my kid! But, I said, "Sure!" and Virgil said, "Ummhmmm." Stephen walked away and Virgil and I looked at one another and agreed, "He'll never do it!"

Stephen s l o w l y made his way around the pool and stepped into line at the diving board. As his turn came closer his face showed more and more concern. Some of the boys around him were encouraging him, "Come on Stephen, do a cannonball!" Stephen's head shook, "NO!"

and then it was his turn! He slowly shuffled to the end of the board and - He - JUMPED!



And then he did it again, and again, and again!

Ah....finally!

~@my

3 comments:

Jenny said...

Wow Amy! Such a milestone step. Since he's gonna be my SIL this is good cuz these three little girls are all fish.

Nicki Meier said...

THAT...is one of the sweetest stories I have heard in a long time! Love it!

~Kristen~ said...

Awesome Stephen!!!!!! Proud of you sweetie!!! :-)