Wednesday, December 3, 2008

My first “quilting” lesson

A few months ago, my Mom gave me a big box of scrap material that she no longer wanted. While digging through the box, I found a quilt top that my Granny had cross-stitched and pieced. I’m amazed when I look at it…knowing that my Granny lovingly stitched these stitches and then gave it to my Mom, her daughter-in-law. Granny passed away in Feb of 2000, and her son, my Daddy passed away in January of 2008. So, I think the perfect Christmas gift for my Mom is to have this top quilted. And so tomorrow, on my lunch break, I get my first “quilting” lesson. I say “quilting” because it won’t be traditional hand quilting. I am using a blanket for the batting and a nice sheet for the backing. And Miss Abbie H. has generously offered to help and teach me tie a quilt. I’m looking forward to the experience and will post a pic of the finished product. Now I need to decide if I will wait until Christmas Eve to give the quilt to my Mom or have it waiting on her bed when she returns home from the rehab facility on the 17th! And on a side note, it is awesome to have Mom feeling better! ~@my

No comments: