Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Thanksgiving Stuff, and a recipe

I feel it! That holiday feeling!! Isn't it delicious? My house will be filled with loved ones tomorrow...and then when they are gone...I get to take a nap or craft or do whatever I wanna do!! JoAnn Fabrics is having a doorbuster deal on Friday $1.49 per yard for snuggle print flannel and cozy solid flannel. I'm loading up! I have lots of Zippy Strippy's to make! Here are some I've already made:


">


I like the "idea" of shopping on black Friday, but in practice - not so much. I'm hoping that JoAnn's will be full of nice, normal, sedate crafters like me! :)

Thanksgiving cooking - While I'm hosting Thanksgiving, I don't have a whole lot cooking to do. V is making the turkeys, and I will make Green Bean Bundles, deviled eggs, a pumpkin pie and a coconut cream pie. Family members will be bringing side dishes and desserts to share.

And speaking of food - Here's a recipe for this yummy soup we love. In fact, I made it last night:

Delectable Potato and Ham Soup

3 1/2 c. peeled and diced potatoes
1/3 c. diced celery
1/3 c. finely chopped onion
3/4 c. diced cooked ham
3 1/4 c. water
2 TBLS. chicken bouillon granules
salt to taste (I don't add this 'cause the bouillon makes it salty enough for us)
1 tsp. black pepper, or to taste
5 TBLS. butter
5 TBLS. all-purpose flour
2 c. milk

Combine the potatoes, celery, onion, ham and water in a stockpot. Bring to a boil, then cook over medium heat until potatoes are tender, about 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in the chicken bouillon, salt and pepper.

In a separate saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Whisk in flour, and cook, stirring constantly until thick, about 1 minute. Slowly stir in milk as not to allow lumps to form until all of the milk has been added. Continue stirring over medium-low heat until thick, 4 to 5 minutes.

Stir the milk mixture into the stockpot, and cook soup until heated through. Serve immediately.

You could top with a little Mozzarella, but we like it as is!

~@my

No comments: