Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Still raining and a recipe

I woke this morning around 4:30 am to an AWESOME thunderstorm. There was lightening,and thunder crashing, and I couldn't help but remember when my cousin told me that thunder happened when God was rearranging his furniture. There are still times during thunderstorms when I have this ethereal vision of the Lord telling an angel, "No, I want that chair in the corner - over by the light!"

Last night I made Easy Mexican Casserole for supper. This is a casserole my momma made when I was a girl. It is so easy and tasty and everyone likes it! It also doesn't put a big dent in the pocketbook. I have halved the recipe from how my Momma made it. Momma had six kids and a hubby...I only have one of each!!

Easy Mexican Casserole

1 lb lean ground beef (I use 93% lean, 7% fat)
1/2 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
salt and pepper to taste
2 cups crushed tortilla chips, halved
1 can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1 can cream of mushroom soup (I use 98% Fat Free)
1 can diced tomatoes and green chilies (you might call it Rotel!)
1 cup shredded cheddar cheddar cheese (I use 2%)

Cook ground beef, onion, garlic, salt and pepper together until done. Mix the soup and diced tomatoes and green chilies together. Layer 1 cup of crushed tortilla chips in in a 9"X11" baking dish, followed by the ground beef mixture, the pinto beans, and the soup mixture. Top with the remaining cup of crushed tortilla chips and the cheddar cheese. Cook in a 350 oven for 30 minutes. I usually serve this dish with a couple varieties of steamed veggies.

No comments: